Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Friends and Faith feedback

Hello all,

I got a little feedback on my post about both friends and faith that I would like to share with you. A co-worker at TCC had some great comments that he shared with me. He told me that I needed to look at how I define friendship before I make a statement that I did not feel like I had friends. He asked me if I considered him a friend. I told him no, that I considered him a co-worker or acquaintance. He asked me why. He told me that he thought of me as a friend but not as a buddy. This really got me to thinking about what he was saying to me. He defined a friend as someone that you can go to and ask for help or talk to. It does not mean that you have to do things together or talk a lot. He gave the example of us like this - he said that if I was to call him and ask him if he wanted to go fishing for the day, he would find an excuse to say no because he does not like to fish. But if I was to call him and ask if he would come help me build a shed or house or do something like that, he would gladly come help cause he likes to do this type of thing. I have always defined a friendship by how much I put out verses how much I receive. I have figured out that that is the wrong way to approach being a friend. As most of you know, I am a giver and a doer. I don't know how to say no. Well that is what I have to change in order for me to find the JOY of friendship. I thought all the way home about the words that were said to me and then got to thinking of all the FRIENDS I have. I have more than I can count when I change my thinking of the people that I can call on if I need something. I got to thinking about the different friendships I have. For a few examples; David and I have a cigar friendship, Chris and I have a rib friendship, Patsy and I have a partner friendship, Marc and I have an old and lasting friendship, Charlie and I have a hunting friendship, and the list goes on and on. I am so sorry to those of you that I doubted our friendship because of my definition and way of thinking. I was wrong to have expectations of you that you did not even know about. And it is my choice to be the giver and not yours.

As far as a little inside into faith that I was given; it was pointed out to me that faith can be measured in the JOY you receive from anything you do that is a gift or ministry to others. You do not have to be in a church to minister or have faith. It is a good thing to have a good church home, to be able to give and receive joy in relationships between yourself and other believers. But if you believe that you have been saved and have FAITH, your soul belongs to GOD and all the non joy is the devil's work. Find joy in what you do and you will find peace. If you don't have joy in it, don't do it.

Thanks to you all for being my FRIENDS, for if you are reading this blog you probably care for me in some way, and that means a lot.

Jeff

No comments: